While forming an LLC the foremost step is to decide on the name and check its availability in the state or not. Connecticut business entity search is necessary for all the business entities for the security of the new and existing business. To know in detail about the same let’s move further.
Why do Connecticut Business Entity Search?
Any formal business’s first instinct will be to get the desired name for their business in Connecticut. For such reason, conducting a Connecticut business entity search is necessary. It will help you register your business with slogans, logo and name that you desired for it. The main purpose of performing a business entity search is to avoid taking an existing name. If you claim an existing name then the CT secretary of state will not allow you to form a business in the state. Connecticut SOS handles all the matters of LLCs/corporations of the state.
CT LLC Naming Guide
When you perform a business name search you have to follow the right way of doing it and then you can move ahead with the Connecticut LLC search.
- Your desired name should be different from existing LLCs/corporations in the state
- The name must contain Limited Liability Company or its abbreviations
- Your business name should be unique and does not represent itself as a government agency
- You should avoid using words which are restricted by Connecticut SOS
CT Corporation Naming Guide
While forming a corporation in Connecticut, before confirming a name you have to perform the Connecticut corporation search. The search must comply with the following points.
- The corporation name must be out of the box
- The existing name should not be used for the corporation
- A corporation name should not refer to itself as a government agency
- It has to necessarily avoid using restricted words like treasury, attorney, university or bank
Methods for Connecticut Business Entity Search
When you visit the Connecticut SOS website, it allows you to do the entity search. The search result will show you whether your desired name is available or not. There are multiple ways to search for your desired name of an LLC/corporation.
1. Business Name: You can check the availability of the name by searching for existing business names. The results will show existing entities’ names.
2. Business Address: If you know the existing address of a business, you can enter it in the search bar and know the results of the same.
3. Business ALEI: When a business is formed, the government issues an ALEI number. If you know the entity identifier number then you can perform a search by that.
4. Filing Number: Number which is initially assigned to a business at the time of its registration. You can check the availability of names by searching by filing names.
5. Principal Name: Principle name could be the owner’s name or a business name itself. Anyone can search the availability through a principal name.
6. Agent Name: Once you hire a registered agent, you can search the entity name through their name. They are ones that represent a formal business in the state.
Process of Connecticut Business Entity Search
As long as you know the process of Connecticut business entity search, you will surely be able to check the availability of your desired name. It will help you to legally claim and register the name of your LLC/corporation in Connecticut.
1. Make a list of names: List the names that you desire. Once you start searching for your desired name and if in case if some of them are not available, you will have backup names.
2. Do a Connecticut business entity search: Visit the official site of Connecticut SOS and start a business name search. When you end up on the site you’ll be easily able to access the steps and do a name search.
3. Check the results: After searching for the name availability, check the results. Go through the list and avoid taking existing names for your business.
4. Reserve the name: If you are not sure about a name that is available, you can reserve it for 120 days. It will cost you $60 to reserve a name in Connecticut.
5. Register the business: Once you got the desired name for your LLC/corporation, the main step is to register your business. Register your LLC/corporation with the Connecticut SOS to secure your legal place in the state.
Other Considerations After Choosing a Name
There are other things as well to keep in mind while forming an LLC/corporation. Apart from the Connecticut business entity search, other considerations will help you secure your business once and for all. They are reliable points that help in the safety of your firm even when you expand it.
Trademark Search: It is necessary to conduct a trademark search to know if your desired name is already registered or not. There are possibilities that the name has initially been registered for a trademark. To avoid such situations, it is important to carry out a trademark search.
Web Domain: A domain name could be the same as your business name. When you claim a domain name, the security of your business increases. The URL that you get after registering the domain name secures your business. It also helps your consumers to search for you easily.
Social Media: Most of your consumers prefer buying online. The best way to drive traffic to your business is to make a social media account. To set forth an account on social platforms, you have to carry social media search. You have to check the name availability on every social media platform.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to look up for businesses in CT?
By visiting a CT secretary of state website, perform a business search where the corporation/LLC is registered.
2. What is Connecticut business ALEI?
An authoritative Legal Entity Identifier is given to a business when it is formed.
3. What is Connecticut business ID?
Connecticut business id is a 7 digit identification number that is given to each business entity.
4. How much does Connecticut SOS cost to reserve a name?
Connecticut SOS cost $60 to reserve a name for 120 days.